Monday, June 9, 2014

Five life lessons from the thrift store

Antique pressure cooker - do not use!
I love to brag on our Goodwill Store.  I've been to more than a dozen in three states, and the one near my house always has real gems.  I like to go every month or so just to see what I can find; maybe a piece of my stoneware or china that was discontinued 35+ years ago, or some flatware to replace the lost forks and spoons from my set, or a great cookbook.

I usually start in housewares.  We always need Corningware casseroles and/or lids, then a careful look through dishes and flatware.  A quick trip through pots and pans to see what Revereware is there.  Then over to afghans to see if there are any worth rescuing.  Across from that is yarn, notions and pattern books. 

Unless I'm in the market for clothes or a new purse, I head over to books and get lost for awhile in the cookbook aisle.  I've gotten some fun ones for myself or my newlywed daughter.  On the way out, I'll look at movies.  My treasure hunt usually lasts about an hour and costs less than $20. 

This time, I came home with one book for my husband and a sewing kit for more purse - but also with five lessons learned.

Know what you're looking for.  With the help of my favorite vegans, I put together a list of desert-island vegan and vegetarian cookbooks.  I keep a copy of it in my purse.  This weekend, we looked at the library book sale and at Goodwill, and couldn't find any on the list.  In fact, there were very few vegetarian/vegan cookbooks at all.  (Unlike diet cookbooks, people don't donate these books; even if they go back to eating meat, everyone eats vegetables.)  So I didn't buy any cookbooks this trip.

Know what you can live with.  Last month, I made a great find at another thrift store, $40 worth of Homer Laughlin Fiesta dishes for $10.Yesterday, I found dinner dishes and soup bowls in the same color.  What a great find!  Unfortunately, the dishes were in poor condition, so I passed. 

Think before you give: What has lasting value?  The chotchke aisle is always good for a laugh.  You see vases, photo frames and other "collectables" that are very dated.  "Oh, this person got married in the '90s."  "Oh, I remember getting something like that as a wedding present in 1978."  None of these seemed to hold their value.  All those gifts, I'm sure, were given with the best of intentions.  All ended up at Goodwill (especially those that outlived the marriage).  Hence, we are careful what we give for wedding gifts.  Usually, we give a check (so we know it was received; thank-you notes are falling out of fashion) with a book and/or hand-made potholder. 

Finish what you start.  Several of the afghans I found on this trip were incomplete; squares needed sewing together, yarn ends left to be woven in.  It reminded me I have two baby afghans I need to complete - projects I lost interest in or put aside before moving on to a more-urgent project.  I need to finish them myself, before then end up on the rack at Goodwill for $5.99.

Recognize what is a bargain, and what isn't!  Need a pressure cooker?  Do not buy the antique one pictured above.  This is the kind your mother or grandmother used.  They've gotten much safer since then.  I  have bought small appliances at Goodwill.  The bread maker was a bust, but my husband found a $150 coffee maker for $10.  Research before you go, and also consider buying new at Big Lots, Wal-Mart or Amazon.  Same with other items.  Donated yarn was bagged up in odd lots, for a cost about what I could get at a craft store with a coupon (for colors and yarns I choose myself).  My daughter, on the other hand, got three sweaters and a shirt for $18.  (Yes, bargain shopping runs in the family.)

Got an hour and a few bucks to invest, visit your local thrift store.  You could walk away with a few life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment