Sunday, June 1, 2014

Desert-Island Appliance: Egg Cooker

What appliance would you take with you to a desert island?  Granted, it would need to be an island that was fully wired with electricity.

When I was a kid, my mom had an egg poacher.  It was the only way I knew how to make eggs.  As a bride, I tried to make boiled eggs on the stove.  Tried several different methods, but just couldn't get them perfect.  A few years ago, my mom sent me a "just because" gift, a new egg poacher.

It's been a treat for the whole family. In 20 minutes, we can have seven hard-boiled eggs, an inexpensive source of protein and a quick snack.

Peeled, hard-boiled eggs are now a stable at grocery and big-box stores.  I priced them recently at $2.79 for six, a good price for a healthy snack.  But yesterday I bought a dozen eggs for $1.09 and boiled them myself, saving more than $5.  Mine turned into egg salad sandwiches for a lunch at church, but my daughter likes making deviled eggs, or just eating them as a snack. 

One hint for using them; if you want to keep the shell intact, prick a little hole in the top.  (I use the end of the a corn skewer.)  My mom's mid-century cooker had a small needle in the lid. 

So packing for my desert island?  The egg cooker might not make it into the first suitcase, but definitely the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment