Thursday, June 12, 2014

The priceless gift that costs less than an hour

This blog is about things we can do that are fast, frugal and fit - like being able to save a life (or two or three) by giving less than an hour of my time.

Every two months, the bloodmobile pulls up at work.  It's usually the highlight of my week.  Alas, today I was turned away; my iron tested slightly below the limit.  I'll have to wait two months to give again.  (Unless, of course, I get a call that my blood is needed because a child is having surgery.)

Why do I love giving blood?

It saves lives.  Each donation can be used for several patients, some with life-threatening injuries and illnesses.  When I was a young adult, I was afraid to give blood.  Then I visited my grandmother in the hospital and saw the blood she was receiving from an anonymous donor. I knew I could do it - as long as I didn't look.

It's a privilege to be able to give blood.  It means I'm healthy.  My irreplaceable friend Cheryl was a regular blood donor until she was treated for cancer.  (Since then, the guidelines have been eased so that it's not an automatic disqualification.)  I pledged then, I would never miss an opportunity to give.

It provides an opportunity to socialize with people on different floors.  There are people I work with I only see on bloodmobile day.  Call it networking or socializing, you can learn a lot from someone when you're reclined with a tube coming out of your arm.

It helps the nurses in my life.  I have "baby blood," because I've not been exposed to a common virus which is OK when blood is transfused to adults, but not children.  My niece is a pediatric nurse; she says my blood is like gold.

A few years ago, we lost Cheryl over Thanksgiving weekend.  It was a bittersweet time, because we also learned we were to be grandparents for the first time.  The week before Christmas, the blood center called.  "We need your blood for a young boy who is having surgery.  Can you come in?"  As I was sitting at the center giving blood, I thought about the young boy who could have surgery because there was blood available, and realized I was giving his parents - and grandparents - the gift of hope.  It was the best Christmas gift I received that year.


The life you save could be someone in your family.  I have the same blood type as my son and at least one of my grandsons.  Of course I pray they never need blood, but it's comforting to know that if they did, they might get mine.

It's a reminder that I live a quiet (read, boring) life.  OK, no one likes the intrusive questions that have been in the screening for the past couple of years, but isn't it nice to report I haven't done anything dangerous in the past couple months?

The perks.  Every donation is an opportunity for juice, snacks and a cool-colored bandage on my arm (I always go for hot pink).  My blood center has an annual dinner to honor donors, with small gifts like lunch bags.  My husband goes to a different center (that conveniently visits the church up the street every two months); his center gives out cookbooks.  Now no one is going to give blood for dinner or a cookbook, but it's nice to hear "thanks."

Giving blood could have health benefits.  One study found blood donors are less likely to have heart problems.  The screening process also lets donors know if they have conditions like high blood pressure or, in my case, low iron levels.  It's also a great excuse to have steak for dinner, to replenish the iron in our bodies.

In short, giving blood not only saves lives, it makes donors feel better in body and spirit, and it doesn't cost a dime.

To find out more about blood donations, you can check out the FAQ of my blood center.

No comments:

Post a Comment