Thursday, May 8, 2014

The early bird gets the...Pork Roast!


I relearned a lesson Saturday morning.  As meat approaches its "sell-by" date, the meat manager moves them to a "specials" bin, with the cut discounted 30% (50% if it's still there after 6 p.m.).  The bin is at its fullest first thing in the morning. 

My daughter and I are sharing a car.  After I dropped her at work, I headed for the grocery store and got this roast at 30% off.  Searching the pressure cooker cookbooks I brought home from the library, I found several versions of this one.  Don't have a pressure cooker?  Cook in the slow cooker on low for 5-8 hours, or until it reaches 160 degrees on the meat thermometer.

Root Beer Pork Roast
1 4-pound pork roast
2 tbsp oil
1 can golden mushroom soup (I used regular cream of mushroom soup)
12 oz. root beer (not diet)
1 envelope onion soup mix

In pressure cooker, heat oil.  Brown the pork roast, then remove.  Add mushroom soup.  Measure root  beer into can to catch some of the residue, then add to pan, along with onion soup mix.  Mix.  Return roast to pan.  Lock pressure cooker lid onto pot, set to high and bring to pressure.  After it comes to pressure, lower heat and cook for 40-45 minutes.  Release pressure.  Be sure to take the meat's temperature before removing from pan.  If it hasn't reached 160 degrees, put the lid back on, bring to pressure and cook for another 5 minutes.

Remove roast from pan, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.  Put pan juices into a gravy boat to serve alongside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment