Saturday, May 17, 2014

$5 finds: Library book sale



When we moved to the Pacific Northwest, I fell in love with our local library system. Extolling all its virtues would take an entire blog or two, but for now I'll just brag about today's finds.  I happened to be driving by in the late afternoon and saw a sign for the semi-annual book sale.  The car automatically stopped.  And, I discovered, the last two hours of the sale, everything you can fit into a bag is $5.  So I set to shopping.

First stop, the video section.  It was pretty picked over. But I picked up "Jerry McGuire," a documentary on Ronald Reagan and a classic musical in VHS.  Yes, we still have our VCR.  It's worth hanging on to.  You can usually find older movies for $1 each, less than a rental. And once you've watched the movie, you can toss or donate it.  If you don't still have your VCR, consider picking one up at the thrift store.

Moving to the next bin, I found two DVD's, one a favorite of my daughter's, and the other a sequel to one of our favorite holiday movies, "Christmas Vacation."  Sure, it's bound to be bad.  Maybe bad enough to be funny!

Next I visited the craft section and scooped up some booklets for crocheted stuffed animals. My next project after I pause the baby afghans for the summer.  Perhaps some baby shower or birthday presents?

Finally, the cookbook section.  Books sales and thrift stores are always a good place to find Weight Watchers cookbooks.  I found three.

All of the cookbooks were pretty picked over, but I found a few gems: one for the bread machine, if I ever dust it off.  One by the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith, a TV cook before there was Food Network. I couldn't resist "The Lady & Sons," Paula Deen's first cookbook - and the only one I own.  And on the opposite end of the spectrum, a classic vegetarian cookbook from the hippie days (but written by a Seventh-day Adventist couple) which is still a reference for modern vegans.


Will I love every recipe in every cookbook?  Will I get around to making a stuffed animal?  Are the movies losers that will just take up space in the video cabinet?  No, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. 

The best part of the $5 finds, is I can always donate the ones who merit getting lost again.




No comments:

Post a Comment