Monday, January 20, 2014

Overnight oatmeal

Even though I was sick this weekend, I did try a new recipe.  BUT, it didn't turn out the best, so I'm not going to post it.  So here is one I tried over the holidays and made several time since then.  It's from one of my new favorite cookbooks, "Fix it and Forget it Christmas Cookbook."  It's son-in-law approved.

Oatmeal Morning

1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
1 cup walnuts (pecans are great in this, too)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
4 cups liquid - milk, water or combination of the two (almond milk if you want to keep it vegan)

Combine all dry ingredients in slow cooker.  Stir well.

Our in liquid ingredient(s).  Mix together well.

Cover. Cook on high 2 1/2 hours or on low 5-6 hours.

Recommended slow cooker: 3 qt.  Serves 6.

(Live outside the U.S.?  Recipe conversion suggestions on this post.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment