Sunday, January 26, 2014

Holiday Wild Rice

For the second week in a row, I did try a new recipe but won't blog about it this week.  I made this White Bean Dip posted at Frugal Living NW.  We loved the dip, but want to tweak it a bit.  I also found versions of it in "The Daniel Plan" and in a pressure cooker cookbook.  So look forward to this in coming weeks.

I will post a recipe I used at Christmas.  To make holiday cooking a little easier, I like to use my triple Crockpot for the sides.  I adapted this one from "Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook," just making a few minor changes so it's vegan.

Holiday Wild Rice

1 1/2 cups wild rice, uncooked
3 cups vegetable stock (original calls for chicken)
3 tbsp. orange zest
2 tbsp. orange juice
1/2 cup golden raisin or other dried fruit
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. margarine or olive oil (original calls for butter)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, snipped with scissors
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Mix rice, stock, orange zest, orange juice, raisins, curry powder and margarine/oil in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid but is not dry.

Stir in parsley, pecans and green onions just before serving.

Recipe says it serves 4, but as a side it definitely serves more.

(Live outside the U.S.?  Recipe conversion suggestions on this post.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment