Thursday, January 9, 2014

Football Chili - Not my Mother's Recipe

One thing I like about football season is I always know what's for dinner on Sunday: Chili.  Last year, I experimented with different recipes, until my husband said in polite exasperation, "I just want your regular chili.  It's great!"

My "regular" chili is the family recipe, which is the one found on the back of the McCormick-Schillings package of chili mix.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great chili, but I needed to be creative as a cook.  So sometimes I'd make a double batch, using the mix for half the seasoning and getting a little creative with the other half.  (He never knew the difference.)

About a month ago, I realized if I bought very lean meat, I wouldn't have to brown it before making in the slow cooker.  Much easier and quicker.  First batch was made with very lean ground beef.  Turned out great.  The second batch, I used lean ground turkey.  This was a step too far for my somewhat traditional husband.  He wanted to have real meat, and he wanted it more spicy.  I took this as permission to experiment.

Instead of the slow cooker, I used my Enamel-Coated Cast-Iron Dutch Oven.  While watching the Packers-49ers Wild Card game, I put it together.  (OK, it wasn't really "fast," but who counts the hours when you're watching football?)





Pushing the Envelope Chili

Olive Oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 large onion, diced
1-2 chili peppers (I used one red and 1/2 green left over from Christmas)
1 Jalapeno chili, carefully and finely chopped with seeds and white membranes removed
1 lb pork or beef stew meet, cut into smaller pieces
2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes, whole or minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 (1 lb) kidney beans, including liquid
1 tsp (more or less to taste) Cayenne pepper powder

Over medium heat, cook garlic in small amount of olive oil while chopping the other vegetables.  Be extremely careful with the Jalapeno. It can burn through scratches in the hand.  Definitely do not touch your eyes, and wash your hands thoroughly when you're done.  Wear gloves if need be.  Add vegetables to the pot as you chop.

Add the meat and brown.  Add the tomatoes, cumin, salt and cocoa powder. Cook over low heat for 1-2 hours (you can't really overcook it).

Add the beans, and taste the chili, adding the cayenne pepper in 1/2 tsp. increments.  We settled on 1 tsp., which we considered to be a "medium" chili.

Cook for another hour and serve.  We top with fat-free sour cream (which is useful if it's too hot) and shredded cheese.  Our son likes chopped onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment