Sunday, January 5, 2014

My 2014 Food Resolution

My food-related resolution for 2014 is to try a new recipe, technique and/or piece of equipment every week.  To keep me honest, I'll blog about it here.

Full disclosure:  This is the same resolution I had in 2013, but that got derailed by knee replacement in February.  But I'm optimistic of some cooking adventures ahead.

One of my friends asked if a can-opener counted.  Why yes, my husband bought me a new one for Christmas.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to work the one he bought a couple years ago which eliminates sharp edges.  I just could never figure out how to get it started.  So I used the new one on New Years Day to make chili, but I won't really count that here.
New can opener on left, confounded one in the back.

For Mother's Day, I got a pressure cooker.  This has cut down the cooking time for roast, beans, soup and a number of other dishes.  My mom and husband gave me several cookbooks for Christmas, so look for more recipes.

Second, we rearranged our kitchen.  Now my triple Crock-pot and Foodsaver are readily accessible.  Look for recipes and techniques based on these invaluable appliances.

And finally, I'm learning to adapt to a variety of food needs and preferences.  I've eaten gluten-free most of the year.  My oldest son and his wife are vegan.  (Did I brag about Stephanie's blog, Trans-planted?)  Although they live in Asia, I keep thinking about how I can adapt recipes for them when they visit.  Another daughter has gone vegetarian, but isn't so strict that I can't use eggs, cheese, and chicken stock.

Here's to a good 2014, and at least 52 new recipes!

2 comments:

  1. We are trying more gluten-free to ease inflammation...looking forward to some (tasty) tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Rachel Ray did an episode this weekend, including some "pasta" made with zucchini strips: http://fastfrugalfit.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-2014-food-resolution.html

      Delete