Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sheryl vs. the Legume, Curried Lentil Soup



As I mentioned in my Earth Day Blog, I've been using a lot of legumes lately.  They are high in nutrients and fiber, low in calories and costs.  However, I have a problem with my lentil soup.  In short, it tastes like dirt.  Some decades-old recipe cards from my friend Liz took me to the USA's Dry Pea and Lentil Commission's recipe for Curried Lentil Soup.

The recipe was a big improvement over ordinary lentil soup.  As my friend Kandy says, lentils need to be highly seasoned.  The curry certainly does that, and I think I might have used more than the recipe calls for. 

Curried Lentil Soup


2 Tbs. canola oil
2 leeks, white part only, or 1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk chopped finely
2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ Tbs. curry powder
1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and picked over
5 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, chopped
2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tsp. salt
1 14 ½ -ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream



Prepare vegetables before starting to cook.  

Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add leeks or onion and celery; sauté over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes.

Stir in garlic and curry powder and sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add lentils, water, bay leaf, salt, carrots and potatoes.

 
 Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer soup for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove bay leaf. Stir about 1 tablespoon sour cream into each bowl of soup at serving time.

Serves 8, with 4 Weight Watchers points plus each.

(Live outside the U.S.?  Recipe conversion suggestions on this post.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment