Monday, April 28, 2014

Is it Caribbean Black Bean Soup day?

As mentioned in my Earth Day blog, since getting my pressure cooker last year, I've been cooking more legumes, and also trying new cookbooks.  By far, the most recipes I've tried - and enjoyed - have been from "The Easy Pressure Cooker Cookbook" by Diane Phillips.  I highly recommend it if you have a pressure cooker and want to learn to use it.

(Thinking about getting a pressure cooker, but don't know which one?  Check out this blog.)

I fell in love with this soup the first time I tried it, and have made it a couple times since (had to send hubby out to buy more dark rum).  I make it on the weekend, then freeze in small containers to take for lunch.  I'm always so excited when I open my lunch and realize it's Caribbean Black Bean Soup day!

Don't have a pressure cooker?  Try this version by Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman.  It doesn't use rum, but I'm sure you could add it.  If you're lucky enough to have a Mexican or international market nearby, you can find the beans, cumin and peppers there at a better price.  I've also substituted the small multicolored peppers for the red and yellow in a pinch; just use a few more.

Caribbean Black Bean Soup
 4 tbsp. canola oil, divided
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and coarsely chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and coarsely chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, carefully seeded, deribbed and finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup dark rum
2 cups (approximately 1 lb.) black beans, presoaked and drained
1 15-oz can chopped tomatoes, drained (I use reserved juice for part of the cooking liquid)
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Four hours before cooking time, put the beans in water to soak.  I add 2-3 tsp. baking soda; it seems to cut down on the gas-causing enzymes.  Drain and rinse the beans.

Chop all the vegetables.  Be very careful with the jalapeno pepper.  Do not touch your eyes after chopping, and consider wearing gloves, especially if you have any cuts on your hands; it will burn.  Measure the cooking liquid.  I use the liquid drained from the tomato in place of some of the broth.  And, of course, use vegetable broth if cooking for vegans.

Heat half of the oil (2 tbsp) in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno, cumin and oregano.  Saute for four minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.

Stir in the rum and bring to a boil.  This deglazes the pan.

Add the black beans, tomatoes and stock; drizzle with the remaining oil.  Lock the lid in place, bring to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes.

Reduce the pressure naturally and remove the lid, tilting the pot away from you to avoid the escaping steam.  Taste the soup for seasoning, add the salt and pepper if necessary, and serve or freeze.

Serves 8, each with 7 Weight Watchers Points Plus. 

(Live outside the U.S.?  Recipe conversion suggestions on this post.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment