Sunday, February 22, 2015

Make-ahead oatmeal mix

Now that I'm carpooling, I need to be ready on time in the morning.  Every minute saved is another I can spend on the exercise bike.

Last weekend, I packed a couple of sandwich bags with oatmeal and the fixings when we went out of town.  We ended up going to breakfast both mornings, so I was able to use them this week to shave a couple minutes off my morning routine.  So today, I "packed" my breakfast for the week.

Each container has:
  • Heaping 1/2 cup regular oatmeal
  • Dried fruit (prunes, raisins and strawberries I dried last spring)
  • 2 tsp. sesame seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
This week when I stumble out of bed, all I have to do is put it in a Corningware container, add slightly less than 1 cup water, cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.  (If you don't add fruit, use even less water; if the ratio is off, the oatmeal will overflow.)  By the time I'm off the exercise bike, it's cool enough to eat without milk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment