Sunday, January 1, 2012

Waste not, want not - Bread Pudding


When I first got my bread machine, I found I had all kinds of odds and ends left, so I started saving them in the freezer and, when I had enough, make bread pudding. I found the recipe in my kitchen bible, the "Betty Crocker Cookbook." (I own several versions, and can't wait to get the new one, "1500 Recipes for the Way You Cook Today.")

I've been saving up special breads for a holiday breakfast. We had a tray of banana and date bread at the office from our boss' wife; I scooped up the leftovers and put them in the freezer. For Christmas, I'd made some yummy eggnog bread, and had a few leftover pieces. I cut them up for a double batch of bread pudding. I adapted Betty's recipe, leaving out the cinnamon or nutmeg called for (because the breads were seasoned) for this:

Holiday Bread Pudding

4 cups milk (I always use non-fat)
1 cube butter or margarine (cut in half if concerned about fat)
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar, or less to taste
1/2 tsp. salt
12 cups dry bread cubes
1 cup raisins, if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat milk and butter/margarine over medium heat until butter/margarine is melted and milk is scalded. Mix eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. (I use large tongs to mix.) Stir in milk mixture. Pour into ungreased 3-quart casserole. Place casserole in pan of very hot water (1 inch deep).

Bake uncovered until knife inserted 1 inch from edge of casserole comes out clean. Start checking at 45 minutes, but I find my oven takes about an hour. Serve warm.

(Live outside the U.S.?  Recipe conversion suggestions on this post.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment