Sunday, June 12, 2011

Graduation gifts

It's that time again. One graduation party yesterday and three today - and another few over the next couple weekends.

To avoid having to run to the card store and/or the ATM before each party, I've gotten into the habit of buying gifts in bulk. Since most of the parties are for kids who grew up in our church, this year I'm giving each a copy of The Poverty and Justice Bible. (Full disclosure, I do get an employee discount, but the list price of $20 is what I usually would give for graduation gifts.) I bought a case of 10; if I don't use them all this year, I know there will be occasion over the next year.

Even - or maybe especially - in this era of electronic information, books can be a special gift. Know someone graduating college or even high school and going off on their own? Your favorite basic cookbook. High school student going off to the military? Biography of a hero from his/her service branch. Other thoughts: history book for history major; book by a business leader for business majors or kids going straight to work after school; dictionary for any student.

I've also got enough graduation cards to make it through this weekend, at least. When I was at the Hallmark store buying Mothers Day and May birthday cards, I picked up a variety of the 99-cent Shoebox cards. Yes, I said Hallmark. I am frugal, but that doesn't mean I can't have a few luxuries (which don't cost that much in the grand scheme of things).

So, graduates and graduation party attendees alike, may your dreams soar as high as those caps!

No comments:

Post a Comment